« Home | I Stopped Counting At 80 » | Nancy's First of Many... » | YouTubin' For Ganstas » | Kerry: Relegated to the Background » 

11/20/2006 

Stanley Crouch: "Wake Up!"

I will not stand up here, as a white person, and claim to understand black culture. To do so would be empty, misguided, and simply stupid.

But what I can understand is the way black culture is presented to me in the media - and in the people I see around me. It's far too often that I see black culture represented as dirty, sexual, money-hungry, angry, sexual, murderous, lawless, immoral, and soulless. And did I mention sexual?

With the music that is coming out of black culture today, it's not hard to see why black youth has become so ingrained with the above characteristics. And before you begin to throw the "racist" tagline at me, please understand that we white people - just like every single other race on the planet - have our idiots, our immoral role models, and our general scum of the earth. I am fully aware of - and 100% agree with - that. ;-)

But I am honestly sick and tired of black culture being riddled with every negative characteristic known to man, at the hands of the very youth who - if only guided properly - could turn everything around.

Stanley Crouch has written an article that is absolutely incredible - and really nails the problem on the head. He writes:

Last week, I was in a studio in midtown where a popular program for black youths was being filmed. I found myself surrounded by black men, ages 18 to 35, and I was appalled.

As a father with a daughter nearly 30 years old who has never been close to marrying anyone, I was once more struck by what my offspring describes as "a lack of suitable men." She has complained often about the adolescent tendencies of young black men, as will just about any young black woman when the subject comes up.
I highly suggest you read the article...it's right on the money. Now if only this man's words would be taken to heart, black culture may begin to shed its negative light, and become something we can all be proud of. Unfortunately, I'm sure his words will only go as far as those of Bill Cosby's.

About me

  • I'm Brett
  • From

Blogs I Read. Some you should too, some not.

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates